Sustained forests; sustained profits
An Overview of the Units of Lasting Forests
Lasting Forests is 4 things at once…
- the name of this web site,
- a working paradigm or concept for sophisticated modern management of diverse natural resource systems as a single profitable enterprise,
- a developing diverse rural and wildland resource corporation.
- areas within a region managed as a system, the forests themselves.
Comments about each ...
The Forests Themselves - Managed Areas as a Single System
Like a group of national or state forests, the Lasting Forests are a group of lands owned privately but under the management of the Lasting Forests staff. All of the forests have similar signs, markers, and a common appearance and are managed together to gain economies of scale and opportunities as well as buying power for labor, services, equipment, and supplies (e.g., fertilizer and fencing). Planning is done with The Trevey (listed later) and a variety of annual financial gains are made...as well as those from periodic, planned harvests in select areas. Profits, made annually while "waiting for the trees to grow", are expected to exceed those from lumber and pulpwood sales.
Units closely related to the Forests themselves are the inter-related units of the corporation that work on the Forests and throughout the region including…
- ·The Forest Group (Plans, prescriptions, value-adding tactics, and daily management)
- Walnut Vales (a total black walnut-related system; wood, nut-meats, etc.)
- The Foresters (an educational and social organization)
- The Fire Force (forest fire prevention, prescribed burns, and fire control)
- The Certification Group ("Green" certification; products certified under international Forest Stewardship Council as being from well-managed lands; wood-value enhancement for export etc.)
- The Wildlife Group (Planning, active field work, education, and management)
- The Fishery (A system of productive ponds and lakes with diverse activities)
- The Range and Pasture Group (Advanced agronomic and rangeland practices for pasture improvements for horses, cattle, goats, and related wild animal species)
- The Stables (Horse care and use in the wildlands)
- Nature Folks (An organization with specialty interest groups)
- The Plant People (Gardening and botanical interests)
- The Owls Group (Specialty interests, tours, outings, studies, art)
- Coyote (A group for people interested in coyotes, foxes, and wolves)
- The Butterfly Band (For those interested in bees, butterflies, insects, etc.)
- The Wilderness Group (Wilderness visits, studies, art, photography)
- The Wildland Walkers (Diverse hiking opportunities, tours, trail work, challenges)
- The Wildland Crew (Adult outdoor challenging project-related experiences)
- Prospectors (A group for those with geology interests)
- The Weather Folks(Sales of weather equipment, memberships, region-wide monitoring)
- Stoneworms (A trail-building enterprise)
- The Stone Rollers (Juvenile-court wards doing supervised trail work)
- The Lasting Forests Camps (Youth and adult summer camps; writers' camps)
- The Sculptors (An organization promoting quality wood carving and other sculpting, material and tool sales, tours, schools, and contests)
- Ranging (New ecotourism or nature-based tourism for visitors as well as local residents using the lands and resources of Lasting Forests)
- The Tours Group (Local, national and international nature and resource-related tours linked to most of the enterprises listed here, partially for marketing)
- Novosports (A group developing and promoting new sports, some of which are demonstrated by the Lasting Forests staff)
- The 4 x 4 Group (A group promoting safety, product sales, sport driving, emergency services, with special driving ranges)
- Viewscapes (Landscape analyses (computer-based), 3-dimensional images, visual impact analyses, and consulting)
- The Products Group (Production and sale of a dozen products (e.g., bird-houses and feeders; bird-food mixes))
- Memorials (awards for the living; memorials and special areas for the deceased)
- www.RuralSystem.com (A web site supporting and enhancing all of the enterprise components; e-commerce and advancing Internet uses in rural areas)
- The Wildland Knowledge Base (The WKB) (GIS services, databases, information services with specialty delivery emphases)
- Inquire (Studies and research and operation of a unified laboratory for all enterprises; including grant-seeking action with foundations)
- Teams (Expert teams that meet and publish advanced concepts on natural resources and their management)
- The Total (An international educational group distributing information and distance learning opportunities related to general systems applications in natural resource management; education-unit sales, many as e-books and hypertexts)
- Competency (A group that administers tests to certify competency within the forestry and wildland science and management arena)
- Outfits (A group that designs and tests outdoor clothing)
- System Central (The central management group achieving synergism; overcoming seasonal diseconomies; achieving economies of scale. It manages the following.)
- System Base (A chamber-of-commerce-like activity for the enterprises)
- The Trevey (An advisory and dynamic planning system for land management)
- The Energy Core (Preparations for fossil energy shortages and energy conservation)
- Security and Safety (Rural safety, first-aid, and fire prevention education, security systems sales, on-site law enforcement, surveillance and emergency communications).
Details about each of the above units or "divisions" of the enterprise is available at: ../LastingForests/Index.htm
Robert H. Giles, Jr.
504 Rose Avenue, Blacksburg, VA 24060
Return to the top.
[ HOME | Lasting Forests (Introductions) | Units of Lasting Forests | Ranging | Guidance | Forests | Gamma Theory | Wildlife Law Enforcement Systems | Antler Points | Species-Specific Management (SSM) | Wilderness and Ancient Forests | Appendices | Ideas for Development | Disclaimer]
This Web site is maintained by R. H.
Last revision: November 27, 2000.